Thursday, May 14, 2009

Another first... my CSA!

Today is my first CSA pick-up day! For those of you who aren't aware of this amazing phenomenon, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Essentially, regular Joe's or Jane's, like myself, can purchase a share in a local farm. You pay for the share upfront and receive the products from the farm throughout the growing season. My roommates and I decided to get on board and purchased our share from Our Local Foods, LLC, a certified organic farm, producer and purveyor of local food products.

Maria Baldwin, who owns Our Local Foods is also on Lowcountry Local First's Board of Directors and is a great individual! Although I know she is extremely busy, she's making it a point to get my CSA share delivered to me today since the Daniel Island Farmer's Market (where I pick up my share) was cancelled because of rain. And I'm very grateful!

Our Local Foods provides organic produce ranging from berries, to flowers, to eggplants, to kale, to peppers, etc. The produce that my roommates and I will receive will be reflective of what is growing on the farm and what is in season. We'll receive 12 weeks of produce and can pick it up on Thursdays at our designated pick-up site.

So, as I'm blogging (term still sounds a little foreign to me) I'm also anxiously awaiting the drop-off of my veggies! Next challenge: figure out how to cook with all of them! And I welcome suggestions!

Check out Our Local Foods, LLC!

Lowcountry Local First

No comments:

Post a Comment